Thursday, February 6, 2014

Fake snow?

     Have you seen the Facebook posts and YouTube videos about fake snow?  If you haven't heard the stories, many southerners seem to think the new fallen snow is fake/plastic because when formed into a snowball and held next to a flame, the snow doesn't form a river of water, it turns black and smells like burned plastic. When I heard this, I knew I had to test it out.
     After finding my lighter, the Champion House teachers followed me outside to watch this experiment.  Mrs. Forsberg was nice enough to take some pictures.

The Experiment Begins

Blackened Snow

     All of us were quite shocked when the snow didn't "seem" to melt.  More shocking was the fact that the snow did turn black and did smell like burned plastic.  After witnessing these results, I needed to find the truth.  I found THIS website that explains what  really happened in reader friendly terms. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment